1) Writing Conferences
Yes, indeed, with the modern Internet, writing conferences have become easier and more fun than ever! This weekend I will be attending and giving a lesson at a private conference with some of my closest writing friends through the wonders of video chat! I'm super excited, and I'll update you later with some selections from my lesson. (Editor's Note on 1 October 2016: This refers to the first ever session of Ch1Con, back before it became an official, public conference.)
Another online writing conference I will be attending is Write On Con, which is entirely virtual, focused on children's literature, and supremely awesome. It's right before I go to college--like, RIGHT before, so mid-August.
2) Internet Surfing Tools
By this, I mean Stumble Upon, a website where you select interests, and it'll pick websites all over the internet for you to look at. Totally fun and addictive, and a favorite of college students everywhere. I've found so much great stuff through this tool. See below:
- Flowers to Mail: Send virtual bouquets of your own creation to friends and family! It's super cute.
- One Word: A writing tool that selects one word for you to write a page about in a limited amount of time.
- Draw a Stickman: You draw a stickman, and it takes you through a virtual story in which you draw items for the stickman to use. It's hilarious and cute.
- Make Everything OK Button: A simple button with the words "Make Everything OK". You click it, it takes a moment to "process," and when it's done you feel so much better. It's genius, I swear. The power of positive thinking.
- The Flatterer: Enter your name and it flatters you. Totally legit.
- Bureau of Communications Formal Notices: Humorously standardized notes for just about everything - breakups, ask-outs, complaints, invitations--and you can actually send them. I can't wait for an excuse to do so.
I discovered these and more online gems through the beauty that is Stumble Upon.
3) I Have a Blog
Enough said! Getting to create this website and all the blog content makes me way more happy than it should, especially since barely anyone's reading this right now. But I'm OK talking to myself, as it turns out. :)
See you all Saturday, and thanks for (maybe) reading!