2) Frindle by Andrew Clements. This clever MG contemporary is too good and too classic not to own, guys. Clements is a master writer.
3) The Insignia Trilogy by S.J. Kincaid. Another set of three books (Insignia, Vortex, and Catalyst), a brilliant YA sci-fi about a sassy teen boy and a technology-driven space war. The worldbuilding is thoughtful and believable and smart, which I adore.
5) It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. This book is basically the classic novel of YA mental illness representation. A must-have for someone like me, who cares a lot about that topic.
6) The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Another classic, this one an adult dystopian centering on reproductive rights. Brilliant and important stuff, a feminist must-have.
7) The Body Electric by Beth Revis. I usually only put books I've already read and loved (thanks to the wonder of libraries) on my to-buy list, to help guarantee that I'm not throwing any money away. However, this YA sci-fi is basically only available in e-book and is not at my library, and I really love Revis's previous work. So.
8) OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu. I'm going off-list now. The rest of the books on my to-buy are lower priority--they're more about filling out my collection and completing series I partly own than about important and exciting new reads. So for this magical theoretically gift card, I'd take a chance on Haydu's YA contemporary about OCD. I read it before I was diagnosed with OCD, so I'd like to read it again now that I better understand the disorder, and do so before making the definitive decision to buy it--unless, of course, I'm splurging. Whee!
9) In going with the splurging theme, I'd think pick one random book off of my "Waiting On" Wednesday list, because that would indeed be fresh and exciting...
10) ... and another one off of one of my recommendation shelves on Goodreads, the best of the year or the mini book recommendations or the ones I've featured on my blog. Together, all these books would give me a fun new selection to add to my (overstuffed) shelves!