In any case, welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday, a book blog tag hosted by The Broke and the Bookish! Today's topic is a movie related freebie. So I figured it was a good time to update you on what my favorites are! Here are my Top Ten Most Favorite Movies (well, not exactly ten).
Basically, Marvel's storytelling is top notch, the Avengers feel like family, and Wanda Maximoff is queen. I can't even tell you how happy seeing a character like her on screen makes me. Not to mentionnnnn, ScarletVision is the OTP I have had the most feelings about possibly ever in my life, I love them together, they are perfect, don't @ me. Haha, and I've always been a big fan of sci-fi and fantasy. Superhero fiction tends to straddle the line between the two genres, which I adore. So this has to be number one. NOW ENJOY THIS SCARLETVISION-THEMED FANART, BECAUSE I SAID SO.
2) Star Wars (1977--present day). Same general kind of genre, totally different universe--one that's far, far away. A long time ago (see what I did there), the divine Force gifts certain people with powers, leading to a battle between the Light and the Dark side that sweeps over all. Three Star Wars trilogies, nine movies (two still to come), tell the story: three generations of an intergalactic family. My favorites are Force Awakens and Return of the Jedi, but I have to admit, I've always liked the prequel trilogy. I mean, it's kind of trash, but Padme Amidala is the Star Wars equivalent of Wanda, to me. Except George Lucas didn't do her any justice, cry cry cry.
Regardless, they're brilliant movies, fascinating and exciting and full of humanity. They follow classic archetypal/heroic journey stuff, which I love, and the Darth Vader redemption arc is one of my favorite series plots ever. Not to mention, this:
4) Disney animated movies (1989--1999, 2009--2010). (Not including Pixar movies.) Swinging all the way around from hardcore sci-fi into fantasy! Disney Studios is much older than the dates I put up and still has movies coming out today, I know, but those dates are for the stretches that I like. Beauty and the Beast (1991), The Lion King (1994), and Mulan (1998) are my favorites, although it's hard to pick. My favorite movie as a child was The Little Mermaid (1989), which I was 100% obsessed with. I really like myths and legends and folklore--classic stories--and Disney's versions of them are musical and intense and full of romance. Y'all know me, I'm here for the romance. (Also for unnecessarily analyzing things, yay for having a Bachelor's in English!)
5) Mean Girls (2004). I was late to the party on this one, as my writing buddies know. Now that I've seen it, it's a definite favorite. This movie sounds like it'd be shallow and ridiculous (because the sexism in our culture tells us it should be, holla at my teenage girls and how much society hates them), but it's actually a hilarious, thoughtful examination of high school girl culture--and about overcoming that implicit sexism. Also, Tina Fey and her character are goals.
6) Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy (2003-2007). Currently, I am not in a good mood re: Johnny Depp, but the original Pirates has been a favorite of mine since it came out. Historically inaccurate, a bit morally questionable (I mean, they're pirates), but at the same time, an awesome adventure full of fantastical touches and a gorgeous romance. The original trilogy is essentially a love story between a man who's trying to resist the ocean and a woman who has always been intrigued by piracy--and then there's that delightfully crazy pirate who keeps getting them involved in battles and magical curses and stuff. Also, the British government is bad, true story.
The soundtrack of this movie, which thrust Hans Zimmer into stardom as a composer, is a delightful mound of icing atop the cake. Which is a vanilla cake, because my interstitial cystitis means I can't have fun flavors of cake. Sadsadsad.
7) Legally Blonde (2003). Kind of a law school Mean Girls. Elle Woods is legit, and y'all better know it.
Thanks for reading, guys! I'll see you tomorrow. (ScarletVision 4EVERRR.)
What are your favorite movies? Which other movies do you think I might like?