I've seen this idea around a lot, so I'm gonna try it. Let's see if I can list 25 things about me I haven't already told you on this blog. I feel like this is going to be difficult, given how uninhibited I am about talking about myself on here, but maybe it'll turn out fun!
1) I don't like baby carrots but I do like the big garden ones and even carrot sticks if I'm feeling the mood. I just don't get along with the baby form. They're too... fake and little.
2) I plan to adopt instead of having my own kids once I get married, mostly because of my situation with the fibromyalgia, but also because it's a good thing to do, though quite difficult.
3) I suffer from a condition called body dysmorphic disorder. My case has become mild enough, with the help of antidepressants and a lot of effort, that I can almost say I'm over it. I've had it since about fifth grade, and mine centers on my face, my skin, mostly.
4) I used to think I could actually read minds. I mostly just have a lot of empathy, which can get overwhelming sometimes. I think that's why I like social media so much--it's a controllable amount of information.
5) When I was in fourth grade, I had a phobia of bees. It all started at a Girl Scouts camp with an Attack of the Killer Bees. I struggled for nearly five months after that from a severe case of melissophobia, to which I hope to never ever return, because no one should ever have to live in that state of constant panic. Ever.
6) I'm basically addicted to carbs. It's actually a symptom of fibromyalgia, but I didn't know that until after I got diagnosed. Before that, I spent years eating a pint or more of ice cream every day after school to reduce my headache.
7) I dealt with additional body image issues around my weight in middle school. I already had BDD, as mentioned above, and it really didn't help when a boy in my ninth grade history class found it necessary to tell me I was so fat and ugly I should never come to school and make him look at me. 🤷🏻♀️
8) I've switched college majors/minors a few times. My Algebra 2 teacher told our class this would happen to all of us. I didn't believe him because of course I've been set on creative writing as a career (and my major) for ages. It turned out he was right, but not because I changed my mind on being a writer. See, originally, I was going to minor in psychology, because I have an interest in that. Then I had an awesome All State experience, and decided to minor in music. When I auditioned for the minor, they asked me to become a music major. So I decided to double major. That was fine and dandy up until right before college started, when I panicked because of the music requirements and switched back to a minor. A few months later, I realized I did love the music department, and now I'm a double major. Again.
9) Another food I don't like is cooked tomatoes. I can't stand them. Not in pieces in my sauce, not in my casseroles, in my salads, whatever. I want my tomatoes raw or completely liquified, thank you very much.
10) I don't like video games very much.This is partly due to my autistic brother being obsessed with them. Given the multitude of stressful situations caused by this, I've learned to avoid them, except occasionally for family fun time, and even then, I only play Mario stuff, Lego stuff, or Harry Potter stuff.
11) I was once "accepted" by a literary agent. She wanted to do an R&R, actually, but she promised that we'd sign a contract at the end. She worked with me on my novel, edited the first two chapters, and then stopped e-mailing me entirely. I was left in the lurch, which is where I am now. Yippee.
12) I'm a Mormon (aka a member of the LDS church). Have I mentioned that? I don't think so.
13) Not only do I draw images for my novels to keep my creative juices flowing, but I also imagine movie trailers for my books. I pick out songs and use them to construct the trailer. It's super fun I hope someday my books do become movies, so I can see how the actual product turns out!
14) My biggest weakness is jealousy. I get jealous really easily due to my self-confidence issues. I'll get jealous over guys, over writing skill, over social status, over musical skill, all sorts of stuff. I'm generally a really nice person, so if I'm not being totally nice to you, it's probably because I'm jealous. Feel complimented, I guess?
15) I don't know how to hold onto anger. I hate conflict, and I hate those crunchy nasty, feelings. It's really hard sometimes because I want to be angry, I need to hold the other person responsible, but I can't do it.
16) The only celebrity crush I've ever had is on Josh Hutcherson, and that's mostly because of him playing Peeta. I mean, I adore him as a person and an actor, but he's very like Peeta, so that's a lot of the reason why.
17) Speaking of crushes, I've had crushes on guys since kindergarten. My first "crushes" were more me choosing guys who I thought could make good boyfriends and deciding to think romantically about them, but from 6th grade on, they became more sincere, long-lasting, and devoted.
18) I used to love to do crafty things. In elementary school. I knitted, cross-stitched, sold stuff at craft fairs, and even made a club around it. Now, if you asked me to do anything like that, I'd be pretty averse to it. Some of that is because of the pain in my hands from the fibro, but yeah, IDK.
19) I also am not well-suited to practical stuff. I don't know how to live in this world the rest of you live in. Money and taxes and healthcare and real jobs make me feel sick. I haven't had to deal with most of this yet, but I really think that if I'm forced into it, I will become depressed. I am at peace only when I'm a) hanging out with friends, b) doing something musical, c) watching TV/reading, or d) writing! I need my art.
20) I have an above-average IQ. I was in the Gifted and Talented program in school because school stuff is generally pretty easy for me. I have a good memory, when I'm not fibro-sick, and I just naturally am good at learning. I don't like math, though, no matter how good I may be at it.
21) You may or may not be aware of my ignorance regarding sports, but the sport I do like best is basketball. I used to want to be on the basketball team, before I, you know, became disabled. Basketball is more natural to me than any of the other sports (volleyball is of the devil), and I like to watch it sometimes too because it actually makes sense to me.
22) I'm usually attracted to athletes and musicians. Why? Because those are the two types of people who are often very passionate. I like passionate people. I am a passionate person. Athletes and musicians are deeply invested in what they do, which is a sign of a passionate disposition. I really, really like that.
23) I exercise every day. Exercise is good for having thinking time and keeping yourself in shape. Because of the fibro, my exercise options are limited, so I stick to two things--exercise bike, which is good cardio but supports my body well, and yoga, which is calming and which I have a fairly thorough knowledge of. I've been doing it since 6th grade.
24) There are a lot of "normal" things I don't know how to do. Part of this is the fibromyalgia; part of it is just laziness and disinterest. The two main examples here are bike riding and swimming. The first, I've never had a clue about. The second, I can't do anymore because of my disability.
25) I like to take surveys and quizzes partially because of my interest in psychology, partially because I'm egocentric, I guess? I don't think I'm alone in this, luckily. My favorite is the Myers-Briggs or MBTI personality test. My own profile is noted on my info page.
You know what? That did take some thinking, but it was fun and not too hard after all. If you guys would like, I might try another some day. Tell me some things about you, too!
I also should tell you that I've decided to stop querying #ChosenFourStory for the moment. It doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere, and I'm not really sure what to do about it.
Previous: On Researching for Novels
Next: My Fashion Taste
Why I Hate James Pat...
The Lesser Evil: Femi...
PTSD and The Hunge...
Guest Post: 5 Fandom...
My Mayo Clinic Experi...
My 25 Most Favorite S...