Starting that young has some interesting consequences in and of itself. But any beginner, at any age, has a struggle ahead of them. I certainly made a lot of mistakes as I worked my way into being in the know about the industry, and lots of people I've known have made these same mistakes. So if you're a beginning writer, you might take some notes. Get off on a better foot!
- Including excessive violence and gore to make the work more "adult"...
- ...but still deciding not to actually kill any characters off
- Throwing in my real life best friends (and cats) as characters and saving them from obvious deaths just because I couldn't imagine life without them
- Basing my story off of a dream that I then barely changed in the writing, which made some bits of worldbuilding quite confusing
- Ignoring the existence of parents because parents are too much trouble, which is a common trope for children's lit