Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday, a book blog tag hosted by The Broke and the Bookish! Today's topic is Top Ten Bookish Delights. So here are ten things that I take delight in as a reader!
1) Organizing my shelves on Goodreads. And adding, and sorting, and seeing how everything looks... I spend far too much time uselessly browsing my Goodreads shelves because all of the books make me happyyyyyyyy. It's even better than real shelves, because varied information on the books is compiled all nicely and it's accessible, and also it's hard to fit as many books as I have on my Goodreads shelves on a real shelf.
2) Beautiful book covers. Book covers are meant to be appreciated, and some YA book covers especially I think are the most gorgeous and clever pieces of art ever. I love cover reveals, and I love seeing the new covers as they pop up on my to-read list on good old Goodreads.
3) Libraries. They're peaceful, they're a vital part of society and culture, there are books everywhere, and you can check them out to read for freeeeeeee!
4) Finding books to recommend to others. Look, taste is subjective, and I realize that a number of y'all reading my book recommendations on here won't agree with mine. (Hey Molly hey. *wink wink*) But I still take pleasure in knowing and liking all these different books that I can tell other people about, on so many subjects. I am absolutely like Hermione in my YA lit class this semester, because I am constantly thinking of new books to recommend based off of anything we're talking about. I can barely contain myself. I am so annoying.
5) When I get to the point in the book where the book title makes sense. It's just a delicious moment, don't you think? Even if all I can think nowadays, thanks to CinemaSins, is "Roll credits!"
6) Getting to fangirl with other YA readers. Yay for the Internet community for allowing me to find a bunch of other YA people I can relate to! We can analyze the stories, talk about what we love, OTP the heck out of couples, and I <3 it. Yay for book nerds!
7) When my cat chews on the edges of my books. This would horrify a lot of readers, but I find it adorable and encouraging. IDK, it's like Spartacus is saying he loves books too! One of the reasons I adopted him is that, when I was trying to decide between him and his two siblings, he kept crawling up into my lap to snuggle and nibble on the book I was reading. <3 <3 <3
8) Entering (and winning) giveaways. I enter a ton of giveaways every week, mostly through Goodreads, and I'm always super excited about it! To have that chance to read a book I might not otherwise, it's fantastic. Also, I like it when I get an ARC because it feels like I'm part of the super sekrit book mafia or something. If you like it too, you can sign up for my weekly blog newsletter emails, where I recommend giveaways to enter!
9) Realizing a book I picked up on a whim is a "surprise favorite." This happens at least once every year, where I pick up a YA book that either wasn't on my TBR at all or was lower down on my priority list, and discover that I really like it. Last year was The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma. Beautiful!
10) Predicting clever plot twists. It always makes me feel like a genius, as long as the twist isn't totally cliche. You only want to be able to guess so much, you know? Of course, I also love it when there's a clever twist I didn't see coming, because that makes me fangirl as both a reader and a writer.
What bookish things do you love? I'll see y'all tomorrow.
Images via ya-aholic.com, thats-normal.com, and mylifeinverse.com.
Why I Hate James Pat...
Hitler and Mother Ter...
The Lesser Evil: Femi...
Guest Post: 5 Fandom...
PTSD and the Hunger...
Successful People W...